Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tomatoes Make for a Simple Meal

I love the smell of fresh sun-ripened tomatoes, fresh picked from the vine. For me, it is the smell of summer. Tomatoes  smell are especially good when the warmth of the sun has not yet dissipated. When I'm in a hurry, I make the traditional Tomato Sandwich without additional establishments


Traditional Tomato Sandwiches are simple. They consists of bread, mayo, and tomato. I usually add Swiss cheese; I've also been known to turn mine into a BLT (with the addition of cheese). When I have the time, this is when I make my "Better Then a Tomato Sandwich" Sandwich.
The "Better Then a Tomato Sandwich" Sandwich is a layered sandwich using the freshest of tomatoes and Sourdough bread, if you can get it. If not, substitute a type of bread that you like. This sandwich is cooked under the broiler and is served open faced.


Good meals, like the "Better Then a Tomato Sandwich' Sandwich don't have to be time consuming. Don't get me wrong, I love cook. But there are so many other things to do in the summer than cook, like watching fireflies in the evening. Meals need to be made with the best ingredients possible. Especially in the summer time, it is very easy to fine fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markers or roadside stands. This makes summer dinning trouble free and relaxing. Then I can seize extra time to sit outside in the moonlight.

"Better Then a Tomato Sandwich" Sandwich        
Ingredients
Your choice of bread, thickly sliced (as many as the sandwiches you are planning)
Olive Oil
Slices of garden fresh tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Mozzarella (Gouda or Edam cheese) slices
Instructions
  1. Lightly brush the tops of the bread with olive oil to prevent burning the edges of the bread.
  2. Place a layer of the tomatoes on the bread. Salt and pepper as desired.
  3. Place leaves of basil on top of the tomatoes (not to many).
  4. Top the ingredients with cheese
  5. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and starts to become brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment