Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A PineAPPLE a Day Helps Keep Mixed Connective Tissue Disease Away

Source
You've heard the old saying, I've heard the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". There is truth in that old proverb, but I'm not going into it today. But if we change it up a bit and substitute pineapple for apple, you've hit upon something I discovered by accident. 

This summer I have gotten the best sales on pineapples. Now in my house we eat all but the outer skin, even the core. My out-laws in-laws got me hooked on these pineapple popsicles when they came back from Hawaii.
Source

In Hawaii, they take the core of the pineapple and cut it into long strips and freeze it. Then they eat it like a pineapple popsicle. It is about as delicious as frozen white grapes on a hot summer day (try it; you'll love it). 

When I started out eating more pineapple miraculously I started to feel better. I know from my education that food can act like medicine so I began to explore how pineapple could help Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD).

*Bromelain


Bromelain is a type of enzyme that may be consumed to reduce arthritic pain and joint stiffness. This enzyme is found in the stem and the core of pineapple and in pineapple juice. Bromelain works by promoting the production of agents that relieve pain and swelling

The University of Maryland Medical Center recommends ingesting bromelain daily to reduce inflammation and pain. Talk to your doctor or health care provider prior to taking any supplements containing bromelain.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/557167-a-diet-that-helps-mctd-symptoms/#ixzz24Cojkf8l 

No comments:

Post a Comment