Sunday, July 22, 2012

Medications & Coffee Don't Mix Well Together


source
No, that deranged looking lunatic drooling over her coffee is not me, I swear. But keep me away from a hot beverage on a cool morning and I can get a little, shall we say, not to nice and leave it at that. And this morning was a cool summer morning thanks to the refreshing rain we had over the last two days. First thing in the morning is medication time, also known as first breakfast. I usually down my first breakfast medications with water followed by something else to drink. This mornings chaser was going to be coffee; then I stopped myself. Didn't I hear something about how medications and coffee don't mix well together. Now, I'm not that into following every tidbit on the news; however, when it comes to me and a cup of coffee, I perk up.

Why is what most people want to know. Well the coffee can interfere with how the oral medications are used by the body. For some, coffee enhances the effect of the medication; for others, the absorption of the medications are blocked. Many medications as diverse as antidepressants, thyroid medication, estrogen, and osteoporosis. For example: the antidepressant Luvox slows the breakdown of caffeine, increasing the likelihood of jitters. And Premarin—taken by women for bone loss and menopausal symptoms—also competes with caffeine metabolization, raising the chances of headache, rapid heartbeat, sweating and more. The antibacterial drug Cipro, certain MAOI antidepressants and common asthma drugs may do the same. Caffeine and other coffee compounds can also combine with metabolizing enzymes, interfering with the absorption of drugs and making them less potent. Drinking black coffee with the osteoporosis drug Fosamax cuts effective absorption by more than half, and reduces the effectiveness of thyroid drugs by almost as much. Finally, as we all know, caffeine is a stimulant: when you combine it with other stimulants like ephedrine, Adderall...So while coffee itself may not ruin your health, its effects on the other drugs you take just might.*


Well, I guess on cool mornings  I'll make myself Chai Tea today,; well, until someone tells me that doesn't mix well either.








*http://www.thefix.com/content/coffee-and-meds9304
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/really-the-claim-coffee-can-prevent-some-medications-from-working/?ref=science

No comments:

Post a Comment