Monday, October 8, 2012

Open up and say AH... Colonoscopy time

"Open up and say, "Ah" isn’t what the doctor will be said when he approaches me.  Actually, I better not be hearing him and best be asleep when he comes near me with that THING. I don’t want to hear rumors of comments about “black holes” or that “I’m a one-eyed-brown-Susan”, if you get my drift. because... joy of joys and wonder of wonders I’m over 50. If you’re over 50, boys and girls you all know what that means…yuppers…that dreadful day of the colonoscopy happened this morning. What fun!  Actually, the worst day was yesterday…the prep…but that isn’t for polite conversation. Really it wasn't as bad as I expected. So rather than discuss it let’s just let the following cartoon speak for us…




Now, I don't want you to miss out on all the fun. All joking aside, this test can catch cancer in the very early stage when it is just a polyp. At that stage, it is curable. So the question is, "To be or not to be"... Seriously, that is the question. If you want to make sure you're going to be around for a while, go get checked out by a colonoscopy if your over 50. Really, the prep is the worst. It tastes a bit like over salted cherry water.

I was lucky. The doctor didn't find anything. I was out for most of the procedure. I woke up once or twice during the scope; I asked if they found anything. I was told, "No" then I went back to sleep. Unfortunately for me, because of family history I will have to have another one in 5 years. I won't be fearing the prep (really, I heard horror stories...); all the stories of how bad the prep was were exaggerated greatly. Don't let the stories keep you away from getting a harmless test to help you stay healthy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment