Thursday, July 5, 2012

Let's Speak Up About Mental Health Issues

Have you seen that new commercial that is on TV. Well, I guess technically it is a Public Service Announcement (PSA). It is the one with Glenn Close in it. Well here's your chance in case you missed it:


I was in shock when I saw the PSA on TV. Literally, I stopped dead in my tracks. Oh, there have been commercials before pedaling antidepressants or antipsychotics, but this the first one I have have seen that talked openly about Mental Health Issues. 


Not less than 24 hours before I was filling out a survey about commercials. What can I say, I was bored. Anyway, it asked if I had every seen commercials for the diseases that I had. Well, I answered no, of course, after all I have so many of them. There just weren't ones that included depression from having chronic illnesses, or adjustment reactions, or mixed connective tissue disease, among other things. This PSA gave me hope that maybe people will finally speak up about behavioral health/mental health issues.


Now I've spoken up about the enormous mental health issue faces our nation and our world. Now it is your turn to get involved. I will be talking more about Mental Health issues in this blog again as National Chronic Invisible Illness Week is coming up, Sept 10 - 16. It is important to address this issue especially that during that week, as half of all Americans will sometime during there life have a mental illness. Please go to Bring Change 2 Mind for more information. 








*The PSA came from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaXFlANojQ

No comments:

Post a Comment